Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Roasted Ham in the style of my Grandmother, and her Grandmother too. :)

This is my families century old recipe for roasted ham.  My Grandmother taught my Mom, now I carry on the tradition.  Not because it's a tradition, it's an awesome ham preparation.

1 whole or half ham.  Bone in of course... 
About 20 cloves or so, depending on ham.
Ground mustard.  Enough to pack it on the entire ham.
Dark brown sugar. Enough to pack it on the entire ham.
4 cans of Pineapple - Orange Juice or just one or the other.
1 cup cream sherry

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees F.

With a knife score the entire fat cap on the ham, crossing diagonally.
At each intersecting diamond stud the ham with a single clove.
Pack ground mustard onto entire ham.
Pack brown sugar onto entire ham.
Pour juice and sherry onto ham.

Roast ham until internal temperature is 140-150 degrees F. Basting with cooking liquid every half hour, until done.

This is the easiest way I've ever roasted a ham, and it's really, really, great ham.

Merry Christmas!!!



2 comments:

  1. It sounds lovely! I haven't made baked ham in a long time. My mother always served hers with honey butter. So tasty.

    ReplyDelete